Saturday, January 22, 2005

disclaimer*

it's becoming more and more apparent that my room mate is on a very fast and noisy downward spiral. i was aware of this before, but i've just grown so used to his personality "tics" that i just attribute all the drinking and yelling and incessant talking about himself to his "character." i've been effectively ignoring the fact that this man needs desperately to pull himself together before it's too late. i've only known him for a relatively short time, but the word among his long-time friends is that he wasn't always such a depressing psycho. and i can easily see that. i've often thought to myself "man, what a totally cool guy. too bad he just about broke his teeth on the dining room table." ahh well. this is a pretty sensitive and important "real-life" issue. i shouldn't cheapen it with my ironic musings.

plus i'm all bitchy and out of sorts today because i'm hung over. my neighbour left for cuba this morning for 2 weeks, so of course, i was over at his house last night (and three other nights this week) saying "bon voyage." my neighbour is the perfect counterpoint to my room mate. he gets just as drunk as my room mate, but instead of it becoming an emotional ordeal bordering on a soul draining marathon of listening to someone else's persecution complex play itself out in ugly, minute detail for hours, it's actually fun. with my neighbour, i can say something about myself or talk about things without getting screamed at or outright ignored. it's refreshing.

*don't get me wrong-- i do have "normal" and healthy relationships with my other friends. they, in fact, keep me sane and allow me to explore my attraction to total weirdos, fuck-ups and other artist types. i just really enjoy the strangeness that can happen between people. we're such volatile creatures and i think it's worth the effort to embrace that fact. plus, i do genuinely care about the people in my life-- they're not just fodder for my witty blog postings. i understand that i use this medium to distance myself from the reality of the things i write about.

as for tonight, it's going to be beer and nachos with one of my girlfriends and then early to bed. i need a good night's sleep so i can actually get some work done this weekend.

No comments: