Friday, December 10, 2004

oh mike, that feels really good

I'm only doing this because of breadmaker-- we've even got the same background template (it really is the best one, though.) Blogspot seems like the fast food of self indulgent public expression-- it seems just a bit too easy, you know. But I know very little about blogs or computers or anything to do with information technology, so maybe not. Besides, I can't really judge because I'm too lazy to take the time or make the effort to learn how to build these things myself, so choosing from a limited menu suits me just fine.

I went over to my neighbour's house last night. (We'll call him "Mike".) We finally got it on a few nights ago after months of flirting and innuendo, and I wanted to gauge the "emotional/interactive atmosphere" post drunken screwing around. It seemed ok, I think, but then again I am a poor judge of just about everything, particularly relationships, so who knows. More on this later. . . Anyway, I announced to Mike that I now have a blog. His response was immediate and genuine: Who cares? I was taken aback for about half a second, but then I already knew that he's right-- who cares about anyone else's self absorbed, poorly written thoughts about anything, let alone about the blah, blah, blah of their day to day life? Am I that desperate for validation/recognition that I'm participating in this particular cultural phenomenon/fad just because it's so bloody easy to do? Yes. Besides I'm hoping it might make me a better writer if I know there's a possibility that others have access to it. Plus, feedback from strangers is exciting in a fetish-y kind of way-- for me, that is. I don't know about
you. . .

Another weird thing about having this blog is that I can not compose anything directly with a computer. When I sit down in front of one with the intention of writing, nothing happens. Or at least nothing good happens. I find it intimidating, so I write everything long hand. For example, this posting was written hours ago while I was at work, where I have nothing better to do other than think about myself. I think this blog thing is really going to make me look productive to my employers. I'm liking this more and more. . .

5 comments:

Wildefrost said...

That's impressive. No one seems to write long hand anymore.

Photominer said...

It gets easier the more you write!

Anonymous said...

don't do it! -never forget the written words!!!
ancient knowledge is "cool".
i put 'cool' in quotes because it's meaning is pretty subjective. bye for now...sk

Anonymous said...

i was randomly surfing (I mean browsing)the web and i found bread-watevrs site. ok, very interesting. she (or he) has links to yours and i read it...now i'm trying NOT to imagine myself after colledge. today's youth is so stupid. i really can't believe i had sex with my neihbor last tuesday....ok so it was long overduebut still, my bro found out and he's all spacey. yea, like ur still a virgin ben. And yesyerday i-ok u know wat? maybe I should make my own blog. i just need to kno how. some1 tell me~ laurel

french maid character said...

thank you gary. you're right. but i think he may have been making a larger point about how our current pop culture is shallow and ego-centric to the thresh-hold of being completely bizarre-- everyone can be notorious- everyone's life is up for scrutiny-- everyone can simulate celebrity to certain degree.
on second thought, that's the point i'm trying to make. mike was just being flippant.