Saturday, May 06, 2006

hands of lamb

i just smashed both my knees when i was running up the stairs to get the phone. i slipped on the steps and then when i was propelling myself forward off my knees i slipped again and fell really hard on the kitchen floor, which is considerably less soft than the carpeted stairs. thankfully, i was laughing hysterically the whole time because the thought that it looked like my legs didn't work properly anymore seemed very funny.

i went to a little "welcome home/birthday/congratulations on graduating from your program" party for a couple of friends last night at the hotel where i was employed until very recently. i hate these kinds of events-- i never know who is going to be there, and inevitably i end up making inane conversation and pretending to be really excited to see certain people and act like i wouldn't rather be at the bar down the street. but, since i felt it would be bad form to not to at least make an appearance, i went. overpriced drinks, bad food and the above-mentioned social awkwardness compelled me to step outside for a cigarette. i saw the bar down the street and knew there were free drinks waiting for me (my friend works there), so off i went. saying good-bye is an over-rated social obligation most of the time anyway.

several free drinks were had and i got to see an amazing blues show, so the night was salvaged somewhat. but i'm still having trouble getting back into the social scene with genuine enthusiasm. that's ok. maybe i should create my own social scene that features more trannies, art wankers and party-minded intellectuals than my current circle. i know they're around here somewhere.

No comments: